The AMC is for everyone!
At the Allied Media Conference, accessibility means the opportunity for every participant to be able to engage with the spaces, places and events of the weekend.
When you register for the AMC, please let us know if you have an accessibility need such as ASL interpretation, wheelchair access, or scent-free space. We will do our best to provide in each area. Please contact us in advance of the AMC if you have any specific questions.
While the AMC isn’t able to provide daily attendants for people who need assistance throughout the conference, we do offer complimentary registration for attendants. Please contact us for support to register an attendant at no cost.
If you have suggestions and ideas for how we can continue to build an even more accessible conference, please share them with us.
Caregivers can enroll their child(ren) in childcare for the duration of the AMC at no cost. Caregivers must complete an entrance form upon arrival at the AMC. Childcare is located at Student Center room Hilberry F and includes fun, creative, and educational activities as well as healthy snacks twice daily. Childcare will be closed during lunch time, and meals are not provided.
- Thursday - 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 5:45 p.m.
- Saturday - 8:30 a.m. - 5:45 p.m.
- Sunday - 9:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Call (313) 989-9224 to reach our on-call Safety Team between 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m. during the conference.
The goal of the Safety Team is to practice transformative justice and to support the emotional health and well-being of our participants. The AMC2018 Safety Team is led by longtime AMCers Kezia Curtis, John Sloan, Corina Fidel, Angela Abiodun and supported by a crew of trained volunteers.
We know that building the world we want is a process of learning and growing, and we’re excited to grow with you.
If you or someone you know experiences a situation of harm or abuse, is trying to negotiate sharing space, or is going through a rough time and needs some support, please text or call the Safety Team at the number listed above.
Safety Team Rooms: McGregor Room I, Student Center 009
As an AMC 2018 participant, you have the right to access support from the Safety Team on the following:
- Emotional Distress support. For example. immediate support for being triggered during or after sessions.
- Gender Neutral Bathrooms. If there is any problem accessing gender neutral bathrooms while in conference spaces at the AMC, let us know and we can work to address the issue and support you. It is important to us that everyone’s gender is affirmed at the AMC.
- AMC @ Night events. (For example, if delay, tension, or conflict arises with gender-related ID card information to enter an event.)
Other Local Resources
Serenity Services is a toll free crisis line for folks experiencing partner abuse: (877) 855-5948
Common Ground offers free support for folks experiencing crisis: (800) 231-1127
Here are a few good reading materials on how to support ourselves and each other when experiencing abuse or crisis:
- Support a Survivor of Sexual Assault zine
- “Navigating Mental Health Crisis” handout
- “Emotional First Aid” tip-sheet