Allied Media Projects is Seeking Director of Operations
Allied Media Projects (AMP), created approximately 20 years ago, cultivates media for liberation. Rooted in Detroit and connected globally, AMP is a network of media makers, artists, educators, and technologists working for social justice. Through its programs, AMP envisions and attempts to model a world in which we cultivate care and joy, dismantle harmful systems, and assume responsibility for creating new and liberatory ways of being.
AMP’s current programs include:
- The Sponsored Projects Program which provides fiscal sponsorship, training and capacity building to people and projects aligned with AMP’s mission;
- The Allied Media Conference, a convening of AMP’s vast network where participants celebrate, strategize and skillshare;
- AMP Seeds which disseminates the skills, ideas and media of the AMP network to the wider world.
To learn about AMP, check out the following links:
Reporting to the Internal Co-Executive Director, the Director of Operations plays a key role in helping Allied Media Projects (AMP) achieve its mission by establishing and overseeing elegant systems that allow all aspects of AMP’s work to thrive. As a member of AMP’s leadership team, the Director of Operations understands the organization’s strategic and programmatic priorities as a fiscal sponsor to develop and lead the Operations Team in designing and implementing operational support accordingly. They are a deep listener, with an ability to synthesize diverse needs and coordinate cross-departmental solutions. In this role, the Director of Operations will oversee the following: change management, risk management and legal matters, purchasing, logistics, technology, data management, policy and procedures, and office management for AMP. The Director of Operations will reimagine these areas to better reflect AMP’s liberatory values.
- Lead organization-wide initiatives and change management.
- Oversee organizational learning and implementation of knowledge management system.
- Plan, assess, and implement solutions centering our role as a fiscal sponsor and utilizing user experience (UX) design practices.
- Liaise with the leadership team and departments to assess operational support needs and determine implementation strategies.
- Liaise with LOVE Building and oversee AMP office management,
- Oversee purchasing, AMP store operations, and organizational/event logistics.
- Prioritize organizational interdependence and customer service in approach to operations.
Compliance and Risk Management
- Lead compliance and risk management with a focus on fiscal sponsorship in coordination with Co-Executive Directors, leadership team, and departments.
- Oversee multi-entity management, business licensing, and tax registration compliance and ensure they are current in all relevant jurisdictions.
- Oversee contract management strategies and implementation.
- Co-design an organizational ecosystem that inspires risk-aware thinking to enable AMP to run effectively, operate efficiently, and manage risk thoughtfully in alignment with our values.
- Provide guidance and support to network liaisons and fiscally sponsored project teams on risk management and compliance-related issues.
- Manage AMP’s relationship with external counsel.
- Assess and manage legal needs as they arise.
Data Management & IT
- Lead organizational technology strategy development, oversight, and implementation
- Oversee and guide new technology and other systems related implementation and training efforts.
- Lead the development and execution of standards for data collection and management that help in evaluation and decision making, and more effectively tell the story of AMP’s overall organizational impact.
- Lead the creation of a comprehensive database where organizational data lives and is easily accessible and analyzable by leadership, staff, and relevant partners.
- Ensure internal systems and platforms are optimized and aligned with AMP’s overall organizational strategy and priorities.
- Develop and oversee implementation of digital safety policies and procedures.
- Lead the Operations team, which is responsible for creating and managing systems, identifying tools, and implementing solutions that support collaboration, efficiency, and effectiveness within the organization.
- Lead the vision and work direction for the Operations staff, identifying and recruiting other staff needs for the department.
- Facilitate professional development, training, and certification activities for Operations staff.
- Cultivate positive, supportive, and values-aligned team culture.
- Supervise and support the Operations team via 1:1 meetings, professional development, accountability and evaluation processes, and adherence to the AMP Employee Handbook.
- Set team meeting cadence and activities for team culture building, program visioning and planning, and learning/training.
- Coordinate with strategic partners such as external evaluators, vendors, and contractors in order to realize the work of the Operations.
- Adhere to the AMP Staff Working Agreements and organizational policies.
- Participate in staff meetings and retreats.
- Bachelor degree required, Master’s Degree degree preferred
- Extensive and diversified background with at least 8- 10 years of related experience
- Highly skilled strategic thinker and problem solver, adept at managing complexity and detail-oriented
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills
- Advanced project and change management experience
- Nonprofit leadership team experience
- Organizational level IT experience
- Risk and contract management experience
- Commitment to social justice
- User experience (UX) design experience preferred
- Fiscal sponsorship experience preferred
- Experience with multi-entity organizations preferred
Job Details and How to Apply
This role’s salary range is $85,000-$95,000 and includes a competitive benefits package including: employer sponsored Medical, Vision, Dental, FSA, and retirement matching. It is a full-time position, based in Detroit. This is a hybrid position starting June 2023, working 1 -2 days per week in-office.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Last Name, First Initial – Operations Director”
- Cover Letter
- Please include an answer to the question: “What does change management mean to you?”
- A resume/CV
All completed applications received by June 5, 2023 will be considered or until a qualified candidate is selected.
Allied Media Projects is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status or marital status.