Allied Media Projects is seeking a Director of Finance!
Allied Media Projects (AMP), created approximately 20 years ago, cultivates media for liberation. Rooted in Detroit and connected globally, AMP is a network of media makers, artists, educators, and technologists working for social justice. Through its programs, AMP envisions and attempts to model a world in which we cultivate care and joy, dismantle harmful systems, and assume responsibility for creating new and liberatory ways of being.
AMP’s current programs include:
- The Sponsored Projects Program which provides fiscal sponsorship, training and capacity building to people and projects aligned with AMP’s mission;
- The Allied Media Conference, a convening of AMP’s vast network where participants celebrate, strategize and skillshare;
- AMP Seeds which disseminates the skills, ideas and media of the AMP network to the wider world.
To learn about AMP, check out the following links:
Accounting @ AMP
Allied Media Projects is committed to fostering a healthy, exciting workplace environment in which talented humans combine forces to accomplish incredible things. As we manage more and more funds for our fiscally sponsored projects, we need to grow our accounting capacity to meet this growing need. Our accounting team works with an emphasis on collaboration, creative problem solving, and excellent service to our fiscally sponsored projects.
The Director of Finance will direct and oversee the financial activities of the Allied Media Projects. They will report to and work closely with the co-executive directors. In addition, they will partner with the senior leadership and the board of directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization. The Director of Finance will oversee all compliance, contracts, and grants management across all Allied Media entities. They will oversee the department of six or seven staff members and will directly supervise our Accounting Manager, Grants and Budget Manager, and Payroll Manager. They must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while overseeing and supporting a finance staff of six.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management at Allied Media Projects.
- Oversee financing strategies and activities and banking and loan management relationships.
- Coordinate and lead the ongoing review of accounting policies and procedures
Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors and co-leaders to develop short-and medium-term financial plans and projections.
- Evaluate the financial position and health of the organization, and share analyses of fiscal trends and potential issues, including financial statements with AMP staff and board.
- Co-lead the development and monitoring of AMP Core budgets.
- Actively engage across AMP in policy and processes development.
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
Accounting and Administration
- Ongoingly review and adjust financial policies and procedures
- Work closely with the Accounting Manager to ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial processes.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial records and management reports shared with federal and state funders, foundations, AMP board of directors, and fiscally sponsored projects; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Oversee purchasing system process to ensure collection of required documentation and approvals
- Review for completeness all payables above-established thresholds
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Continuously analyze operations to identify areas that need reorganization, downsizing, or elimination.
- Lead the selection, configuration, and adoption process for accounting software and services.
- Coordinate with HR, Development, IT, and other departments to select related software and services.
- Oversee Accounting and Financial Analysis departments, budget preparation, and audit functions.
- Work with other department heads to monitor each department and make recommendations.
- Lead work planning sessions with finance and accounting staff.
Need to have…
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least ten years of diverse finance experience.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
Nice to have . . .
- Awareness and understanding of the Uniform Grant Guidance is helpful.
- A CPA, and or MBA would be a plus.
- Experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources, including government (federal and state) contracts and an affiliate structure with diverse program areas delivered nationally and internationally.
Job Details and How to Apply
This role’s salary range is $85,000K-$100,000K and includes a competitive benefits package including: employer sponsored Medical, Vision, Dental, FSA, and retirement matching. It is a full-time position, based in Detroit. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this job will operate in a remote capacity.
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name, First Initial – AMP Director of Finance”
- Cover Letter
- A resume/CV
Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
Allied Media Projects is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status or marital status.