AMP News October 2020
Dear AMP Community,
The arrival of Fall brings much beauty and much grief. Our hearts are with the family and friends of Elandria Williams, a visionary leader from the South, who became an ancestor last week at the age of 41.
An AMC participant for many years, Elandria most recently shaped the conference through their role as Executive Director of Peoples’ Hub, our virtual production partner for AMC2020. Peoples’ Hub trained all AMC session presenters in “radical hospitality” practices for the virtual context, which were distilled from their many years of leadership in the space of online training and community building. This is just one small example of Elandria’s contributions to our network.
As Peoples’ Hub wrote in their beautiful tribute letter, “Their life was a testament to the collective, to claiming space and creating space for Black, Southern, disabled, queer, elders, youth and more…Elandria was the Black Radical Imagination embodied.”
We are proud to have been part of Elandria’s vast beloved community and will be continuing to learn from their work and legacy for years to come.
Donations to Peoples’ Hub in Elandria’s honor can be made here. Follow and contribute to the wisdom Elandria gave the world through the hashtag #ElandriaTaughtUs.
As we move through the coming season, and all that it will bring, we are holding on to the golden threads that lace our network— resources, ideas, collective actions and ancestral energies. These are the critical connections that will carry us through.
Calls to Action
Things we can do, large and small, to shape the world we need.
- Support the work of Black Lives Matter Louisville, as they heal and continue to mobilize towards justice for Breonna Taylor.
- Watch this video to learn about the Breathe Act and then sign on as a community sponsor.
- Join Equality Labs‘ effort to end caste-based discrimination in US tech companies.
- Tell Chrysler that Detroit Needs Environmental Health Protections Now.
- Sign up to be an Election Defender.
Cultivate care. Tag #AMPCollectiveCare to share resources with us.
- Explore Healing By Choice‘s lineup of virtual events happening this Fall.
- Join Valerie Brown in meditations on How to Fight Social Injustice Without Hating.
- Embue yourself with the “extremely powerful femme hoe energy of the late 90s/early 00s” with this playlist by Tunde Olaniran.
- Share this mini-grant opportunity for BIPOC activists ages 13-25.
- Learn home remedies for lung support during wildfires with @kitchencurandera.
- Support a relief fund for radical library, archive, and museum (RadLAM) workers, which grew out of the AMC2020 RadLAM Network Gathering.
- Support farmworkers impacted by fires in Oregon.
A Whole New alliedmedia.org
It’s alive! After 18 months of loving labor, we are thrilled to present this new digital vehicle for sharing the abundance of media-based organizing genius that is our AMP network. Explore our new website and share your feedback.
Come work at AMP and help us cultivate media for liberation.
- Foster a healthy, exciting workplace environment as a Human Resources Associate.
- Apply to be a Network Liaison for the AMP Sponsored Projects Program.
AMP sponsored projects, speakers bureau members, and friends are out here shaping change.
- “To stop police violence we need better questions and bigger demands” by Mariame Kaba.
- “Beyond Acting: The Enduring Impact of Chadwick Boseman,” an inter-generational conversation hosted by Petty Propolis.
- “The Facts of Life” Alicia Garza interviews Malkia Devich-Cyril
- Black Bottom Archives is accepting oral history submissions.
- Press On is launching the Southern Movement Media Fund.